Natural Vapor/Chest Rub
This here is a vapory chest rub. I used to buy a different one at the store. A popular one. Then I researched the ingredients. 😱
Synthetic “active” Ingredient #1 “can be irritating and unsafe…. The first symptoms of … toxicity occur quickly (within 5 to 90 minutes), and can include burning of the mouth and throat, nausea, and vomiting…. [It] can be deadly — especially in kids.”
This ingredient is also found in nature, and is also one active ingredient in my vapor rub. But get this: smart ol’ Nature combines phytochemicals together in a way that makes them SAFER, and also magnifies their efficacy. Sometimes an isolated compound (especially when made in a lab) can be harmful all by itself … but is safe when accompanied by its natural “entourage” of other helper compounds that enable our bodies to extract all the benefits with far less scary risk. This means you also need far LESS of it for it to be effective. 🙌🏼
Ingredient #2 (inactive ingredient) is “often not fully refined in the US, which means it can be contaminated with toxic chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) … exposure to PAHs — including skin contact over extended periods of time — is associated with cancer.” Also: “Over time [inhalation of this substance] could result in pneumonitis.”
But, it’s a VAPOR rub??!! 😳
And so, the desire to put something better/safer on my children (and family/friends) has overpowered “too-busy-and-tired.” It is well worth the 5 minutes plus cleanup. Here’s the recipe:
- 1/2 c. Organic carrier oil of choice, or a mix I used 1/4c olive and 1/4c coconut. Other options are hemp seed, jojoba, sweet almond, etc. Use what you have!
- 2 tbsp. organic beeswax pastilles or grated organic beeswax
Essential Oils:Use 40-80 drops of oils of your choice, based on age:
- 0-2: 40 drops (4 drops per tbsp)
- 3-7: 60 drops (6 drops per tbsp)
- 8+: 80 drops (8 drops per tbsp)
- Put carrier and beeswax into double boiler or into a glass dish that sits inside a pot of hot water.
- Stir until beeswax completely melts
- Remove from heat. Mix in essential oils.
- Pour into 4oz mason jar or several smaller glass containers. If there’s a little extra, pour into small makeup size container to carry in your purse.
- Let it cool for a couple hours to set